Thursday, February 01, 2007

Career Day @ ECA

It's always been a pleasure for me to to present at ECA's Career Day and talk to the kids about my career, what makes me love it and what I have done in my life until now -as a professional, of course- so they can have a better view of what being an IT professional is like. The first time I did it, I offered myself just out of curiosity and because of the novelty of doing something for the place I work. The second time, 50% of the emotion related to it was long time gone. This time, the organizers asked me to present and I almost replied "no, I can't", hehehe.

But this time it proved to be the most special of the three occasions that I have participated as a presenter. Thank G'd I don't have to be dressed in suit & tie to work, so coming to school dressed in an italian suit caused a conmotion it seemed, especially because that same day was also the Birthday Breakfast for the ones who had their birthdays in January, and that includes me, so everyone's reaction was like "OMG, look how elegant!" "Is that the new uniform for the techies?" "Wow!" "Carlitos, you look like a million bucks!" and Ms. Lowman's reaction, which was "you look superb..If I was your age I would ask you on a date right in front of my husband!". No wonder that was my favourite!

But was definitely made my day was the presentation itself. Even this time I only had 5 students attending, after I finished two students (one argentinian and a spaniard) asked me specifically for a list of universities in Spain (for the spaniard) and Argentina and the US (for the Argentinian) that I would reccomend them. Now that's a display of interest! it seems part of my presentation was worth it :-D

No comments: