Tuesday, February 06, 2007

יום הולדת שמח to me, again!

Living in a world where the dominant western culture has a different calendar to the one your religion uses makes it a little complex when birthdays come. So the most common (and the funniest) solution tends to be celebrating both dates. In my case, I was born on January 20th, 1976, a date equivalent to Shevat 18th, 5736 in the hebrew calendar. It's kinda obvious that both dates might not coincide in a long time (I think it only happens every 19 years or so, because of the lunar cycles or something like that) and this year was not an exception. Shevat 18th, 5767 is equivalent to February 6th, 2007, and for that date I decided to do something different, although kinda unplanned. My friend José Juan (the one in the photo with a light green chemise) turned 27 on January 24th so, since neither of us are from Caracas, we decided to do something to celebrate together since have quite a few friends in common -we work together at ECA

I cannot say that it was the party I wanted -it was mostly a cervezada with Joe's friends since most my own friends dissappeared or had something more important to do, were not in town or simply forgot about my "western" birthday so I decided to to invite'm; but like my friend Lennys said, "coño Carlitos, you even had a jam session in your birthday party! Man, that's a privilege not many people can afford, especially if the musicians play just for fun!". And the cake! Yeah, I'm definitely starting to enjoy Carlos Santana's music :-)
By the way, I also got a much appreciated birthday present from my boss, who apart from his guitar solos brought me an indian shirt (a short-sleeved kurti, I guess) that comes in handy for my cousin's wedding, which will be at the beautiful Margarita Island next March 10th.


Oh, and don't miss my leprechaun rainbow hat I "stole" from my friend Joe, hehehe :-D

No comments: