Sunday, July 01, 2007

الجنّة الآن

Last night I saw the Palestinian movie Paradise Now. I have to admit that I kinda liked it.. no, I really liked it. Even though I consider myself a zionist and sometimes a kind of revisionist, I realize that the palestinians need a place to be in the Middle East..the problem is that two people consider the same piece of land as their own, regardless of who's right and who's not, who's managed it better and who's not. I understood the despair of some palestinians trapped in an underdeveloped place that is collapsing due to poor mismanagement and lots of corruption, while some bloody guy brainwashes them saying that if they kill israelis, they will go to heaven guided by two angels. How can he prove that? Bullshit!
Another thing I liked was Suha becoming the guys' conscience, with the contrast that he is the daughter of a great Palestinian militant. She insisted on telling them that there are other ways to achieve what they want, and she was giving a try. And the last scene, when they depart from tore down, seized by gangs and chaotic Nablus and enter the secular, open coastal and very european Greater Tel Aviv (the Gush Dan) passing by Ramat Gan and its impressive skyscrapers. A stark contrast that made me think a lot of what we should do to solve the Israeli-Palestinian problem, to somehow help aleviate the damage we have done accidentally and intentionally.. but not forgetting that the other arabs (and many palestinians abroad) simply don't seem to care much, except for Jordan. Hizbullah doesn't care about the Palestinians, they just see their support as a mean of conquering the whole Middle East, expel all jews and christians and impose an Islamic State from Morocco to Mumbai; that's all

I even liked the final scene. The guy did what he thought he wanted to -give a meaning to his poor life. Too bad he took a lot of israelis on his way..


2 comments:

Boris said...

Didn't you ask yourself, why in other "underdeveloped" places on the Earth people find better ways to give your life a meaning, than blow yourself and take lives of other people?
That is why I think that this is a disgusting though persuading movie.

NP. Is there any way to turn of the "word verification" in comments?

מאור said...

Haha man, you can't hide you're Russian *grin* Of course I did, and I obviously there are many different ways; if not, we venezuelans would've blowing up each other since Chavez came to power; actually, is not a bad idea to blow up a few chavistas..

Seriously, what I liked is the way the movie was made, and how these guys sitting comfortably i their houses convince the other two to kill themselves... if it was so bloody good, why didn't they do it? I liked the they the director showed it. And what I liked most, is that it shows that Israel is a democracy, since most of the movie was shot in Israel (not in Nablus, as it seems) and filmed partially with Israeli funds and most of the actors have either israeli citizenship or permanent residence. Here in Venezuela, you wouldn't even be allowed to make a movie that says affects the image of Chávez without being blocked internaitonally or worse, threatened to go to jail -ask Jonathan Jakubowicz, director of Secuestro Express!