Monday, July 09, 2007

Charming Panama..

After opening my account at Banistmo, who was recently acquired by HSBC and who will become HSBC Panama soon, and especially after Roxana, the nice and courteous lady who helped me opening my account after I shocked her telling all our sad stories about the tight currency exchange controls we have been living under this f**kin' government, we went to a HUGE Kosher supermarket to buy some food, and then left for the Royal Decameron Playa Blanca Resort, which is approximately 1.5 hours away by car. The only word I have to say about the hotel is Excellent. I can't complain, definitely. Good food, excellent drinks, nice beds, nice and clean beach, excellent service. Perfect :-)
At the end of my stay in Panama, we went to many places in the city, sort of a quick tour. Actually I don't like quickies, but oh, what to do, I had no time! I LOVED the old city, UNESCO World Heritage Site, which is slowly being restored to its original Spanish port charm.
This photo could perfectly pass for a photo taken in Alicante, Girona, Cádiz or Donostiaand of course, the Panama Canal! what impressed me the most was not the magnificence of such a work of hardcore engineering, but how pristine and practically untouched is the rainforest that surrounds the Canal. Ja, natürlich, that rainforest feeds the Gatún river, the river that feeds Gatún Lake, one of the largest artificial lakes, and hence Panama Canal, what really moves this country's economy because it has no natural resources and needs the income that generates the canal, especially now that they're expanding it (yeah, making it wider so post-panamax ships can cross it) and enforcing the country as the commercial, financial and transportation hub of the Americas, something that COPA Airlines is definitely committed to achieve and dethrone Miami :-) After that, I returned to Caracas, via Bogotá, flying Avianca, so I could earn more SkyMiles.. I will come back, Panamá. Promise

No comments: