Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Meteoro was my cab driver!

Spending the weekend with my family was really good, as usual, especially because I had the chance to go shopping with Uncle Tunco to buy stuff needed for the house, like painting for the fences and walls, varnish, wood stain and new paint brushes. For the first time I was paying everything, which made me quite happy because I felt that it was my responsibility :-D I told my uncle not to pay anything under the condition that he finds someone to do the painting job -he cannot do it himself either

Apart from that, I visited my dad but I actually spoke to him for less than an hour because he was leaving for a meeting since now he is the security manager of the regional campaign supporters of Manuel Rosales in my state, which made me even happier since dad is one repented chavista -when I found out he voted for Chávez in 1998, I almost killed him .. man, that was the quarrel of the decade! B"H my dad is back to sanity :-)

On Sunday, I spent the morning talking to my friend Norka at her place, but those moments deserve a special post. Afterwards I headed to the bus station to catch a carrito por puesto to Caracas, and to my luck and happy surprise, I found a former college senior classmate and his girlfriend, who for some reason hated me back then and now turned out to be the nicest of the girls! Anyway, we took one cab with a driver .. oh heavens, what a driver! Well, he didn't really look like Speed Racer (nor he was that young) but definitely I felt I was being driven from Barquisimeto to Caracas on the Mach Five, hahaha! He drove at about 140 Kph (88 mph) almost all the way, even on the segments where it was raining, and kinda competing with the other cars, and rejoicing when he passed another fast car on the highway. Then we we got closer to Caracas, he tried to avoid the queues for the tunnels that access Caracas (Caracas is surrounded by steep mountains that make the city be in a deep and narrow valley, which has determined its vertical growth) so we took a detour through La Cortada del Guayabo, a road FULL of sharp curves that passes through the mountains and next to a water reservoir and end up near the bus station of La Bandera in Caracas.
Well, let me tell you something -this guy was practically having an orgasm while driving at more than 60 mph in such a thin and dark mountain road. Gustavo's girlfriend was so f***in' scared that she got a headache and her muscles were tense as a fence, especially after I said that the area near the water resevoir of La Mariposa was used a lot for witchraft purposes, which we could even see from the road, candles, people and inciense smoke. She was terrified, and as soon as we got to Caracas, we stopped at the first metro station and got off the car, not before she told him "Sir, I would NEVER, EVER take a ride in your car again!". That was funny, especially taking into account that this guy had a Mitsubishi Signo (a Mitusbishi Lancer VII) and not the Mach Five!

No comments: